Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thrifty Thursday

Gentle Friends, over the weekend, which were two lovely sunny days here by the Bay, there were 3 Estate sales to visit - and my regular Thrift/Consignment stores.....  can we say "in Hog Heaven!!"  Although two of the sales were a bust the third and last one we got to was gigantic.  There was a ton of stuff and a ton of folks shopping.  I found some fun things......

.....  there were 100's of books to see and sift through with bookshelves everywhere....  The book about the Atoche is really nice as it is signed by the Head Conservator and the head archaeologist, both talking about all the support given to the search - I am guessing that the person who's stuff we were all pawing through was an investor. I was really excited to find the great matryoshka of the Czars and Czarina of Russia.....  I saw it on Saturday but it was far to expensive so I left it knowing that Sunday was 1/2 price day..... I went back on Sunday and I thought someone had already bought it, but after searching around I found it in a back pantry and totally snapped it up!


.......here are the 7 dolls unstacked/nested.....  Peter the Great, Emperor from 1721 - 1725, Catherine II The Great, Empress from 1762 - 1796, Paul I, Emperor from 1796 - 1801, Alexander II, Emperor from 1801-1825, Nicholas I, Emperor from 1825 -1855, Alexander III, Emperor from 1855 - 1881 and Nicholas II, Emperor from 1881 - 1917...... when I was paying at the check out card table the woman running the register asked about my ""Shakespeare" Russian Thing".......  I saw it as a teaching opportunity so I quickly explained who each person was and after a few minutes of what I thought was really interesting information I could see her eyes glazing over...... I do love Russian Imperial history!!  I guess Peter the Great could be mistaken from the Bard of Avon......... but then again maybe not.  I do love matroyshkas and especially when they are on the unusual side.
____________________

There you go sports fans, more fun stuff  - or as I've heard around my house lately... "more stuff to dust".....  thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

12 comments:

  1. That Matryoshka doll set is the best! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of nice treasures! I especially like the nesting dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unusual, such severe expressions some of them have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Edgar, I LOVE the Czars/Czarina dolls! I am a Russian history buff. I've never seen anything like those - truly you found a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Edgar: Great choices on the books, love the nesting dolls and so unique.
    I love a good sale, and the antique stores in our area, so much to see.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You find the greatest treasures when you go shopping!!!! Yes, they are more to dust...but what fun to admire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! It's so unusuall to see our Russian tzars in the far California!! :)) But it's really very pleasant that someone in San Francisco loves your history!! Edgar, if you like I can send you something about our tzars. Especially I live in Saint-Petersburg - the old Russian capital of this tzar dynasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul Edgar. I'm concerned when I read a post from you that says you haven't felt much like stitching lately :) Hope your mojo returns son but in the meantime I'm sure you have plenty of other things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a find!!!! Those nesting dolls are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds, Edgar. Love the books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a very successful week-end o9f shopping. Doesn't it amaze you that some people have so little curiosity?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those dolls are sooooooo interesting & in such fantastic condition. Congrats on your find.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...